Tuesday 13 September 2011

EXCLUSIVE Tom McRae Interview

Hello :) Recently, I got in touch with writer of The Girl Who Waited, Tom McRae on Twitter, and secured an email interview with him. So here's the interview!
Q: When you wrote The Girl Who Waited, was it always episode 10?
1)  No.  It was a 'floating script', which meant it could go anywhere.  That's why there's no direct series continuity references in it.  We only decided it was ep 10 quite late on.
 Q: Did you enjoy writing it more than Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel?

2)  I loved writing it but it was a lot of very hard work, so I"m thrilled it's paid off!
Q: 
Were you surprised by the extremely positive press reaction?
A:
3)  I was absolutely overwhelmed by the press reaction.  Obviously, you always HOPE for reviews like that, but to actually GET them is quite breathtaking!
Q:

How much do you know about the series arc?
A:
4)  I know pretty much everything now.  For ages I insisted that no-one told me who River Song was - I didn't want to know until it was on TV!  But after I read The Day Of The Moon I kind of figured it out...
Q:
What's your favorite classic/new Doctor Who story, and why?
A:
5)  My favourite ep of all time is Blink.  More than any other before or since it broke the mold about what the show can do.  
Q:
How did you originally get to writing Doctor Who?
A:
6)  RTD asked me to come onto the show shortly after it started.  I was very lucky, and also was well known enough at the BBC to be on their list.
Q:
What advice would you give to people who want to be writers?
A:
7)  If you want to write - write.  Just get on with it.  Don't put it off, don't talk about it down the pub - just get on with it an do it.  Even if it's crap, keep going and learn how to not write crap.  Experience is just as important as natural talent, so start putting the hard work in NOW!


Thanks a lot to Tom McRae, and please leave a comment :)





No comments:

Post a Comment